Big Foot - "Patty" - [Cryptid, 1967.]
• About this Cryptid: The particular instance of 'Bigfoot' I've drawn today, is inspired by the one appearing in the rather (in)famous 1967 "Patterson-Gimlin film." - The image has become so recognizable and is so iconic that it’s synonymous with and a universal symbol for "Bigfoot" as a whole:
[ Frame #352 which has become the universal symbol for bigfoot, sasquatch and other hairy humanoids. - The film is probably best known for otherwise being incredibly blurry, to a point that it's become an ongoing meme that "you can't take a non-shakey photo of a bigfoot." ]
One fun fact about this image that most don't realize (or tend to ignore?) is that the bigfoot appearing in the film is allegedly a 6-7ft tall, Female. - This film of "Patty" (as many call her.) was shot in Six Rivers National Forest, Bluff Creek, North California on Friday, October 20th, 1967 by two cowboys named Roger Patterson (1933-1972) & Bob Gimlin. (1931.) - [I could go on about the controversy surrounding the film and the people who made it, but in this case, I won't as there are just so many easily available articles and video essays on the subject out there already that I feel it's reasonable to let my readers do a deeper dive on their own time.]
-Regardless of this particular case's authenticity, Today: When you first think of ‘BigFoot' you most probably automatically equate it to either being a stereotypical "wild-ape-man" or a "guy in a gorilla suit" – Largely because of this film, the pop culture & history surrounding it. - The "Patterson film" set the stage for most of Bigfoot's modern appearances in popular media and it is a big part of why most artists draw them with a "gorilla-like" appearance today. -- [I'm not sure why most 99% of pop culture appearances leave out the fact that it's apparently a female... Feels like there's some cute character potential!! I dunno.] --
• 'Bigfoot' Variants: Without a doubt, 'Bigfoot' is the most widely known North American Cryptid to a point that giving them a description is almost unnecessary -- if not the 'best known', then they're certainly the most widely researched and celebrated. --For the purpose of my website's catalogue: 'BigFoot' denotes 'hairy ape-men' found in the United States & some parts of Canada. - Though, the term "Bigfoot" or "Sasquatch" is often shared among "hairy humanoids" found All around the world. -- People have told of mysterious shadowy beasts that roam the forest undetected & leaving only footprints behind, part man, part ape, some are said to have glowing red, yellow or orange eyes, with feet spanning twice to six times that of normal humans. They are often said to make whooping noises or babble similarly to a child, though some also say that they are able to mimic human speech.
…Some 'Big foot' theories I've recently read about range from explaining them as simply "wild-men" to being the 'missing link' between man and neanderthal, or perhaps they're an ancestor of the "gigantopithecus." - The theories range from being somewhat scientific, to the stuff of Ancient Folklore, Tall tales & Mythology. (often described as a sort of nature spirit.) next to that, BigFoot is also occasionally linked to Aliens, ufo and other 'occult' or 'paranormal activities' [Among other humorous or outlandish claims] A more recent fantastical claim suggests that perhaps bigfoot is an inter-dimensional traveller or is able to slip in and out of our plane of existence, because of course it can!!! - "Bigfoot" is also sometimes (rather distastefully) associated with real-world missing person reports. --- All of That said, whatever the case, "Bigfoot Fever" could of course ultimately be the result of localized pranks &/or hoaxes. But Nevertheless, A great number of Researchers, Scientists and Doctors -even if they're skeptical - are dedicated to proving/disproving the beast's existence. - [the amount of research done on the subject is almost to the point of fault; I've found that the vast majority of young people, regard them as the most "Boring", “Mainstream” or "Plain Unbelievable" Cryptids] - But, Reports of the hairy humanoids are so vast, despite everything, it's quite hard to dismiss the creature as a whole. - There more so many variants, stories, legends, encounters, tall tales, news articles and theories about Bigfoot than one can hope to compile…
…Regardless of whatever 'truth' it is you believe, these 'hairy-ape-men' certainly make for an enduring bit of folklore. As said, There are similarly described creatures in folklore, found literally all around the world. (Basically, every culture has its own variation on the theme of "hairy-ape-men who lives out in the woods“, but few have spent as much time seriously researching them as dedicatedly as bigfoot enthusiasts have, (frankly it’s impressive!) - Regardless of your stance on the beasts' existence, it certainly is interesting topic to do a deep dive into and read more about. - [That said, as with most things, I personally take my research on the subject with a few pints of salt, I’ve found that most documentaries on the subject do a better job at debunking the cryptid, rather than exploring the events or legends behind the beast.]
For now, I've listed a few noteworthy & fun big foot 'cousins' & variants that I'm most likely to draw stickers for at a future date:
- "Sasquatch." [Canada] - (same creature, arguably.)
- Old Yellow Top. [Ontario.]
- Skunkape. [Flordia.]
- Yeti. [Himalayas.]
- Yeren. [China.]
- Yowie. [Australia.]
- Hibagon. [Japan, 1970s] - (see also Yokai, "Satori.")
- Octosquatch. [Spain, 1961] - (see also Myth, "Basajaun.")
- Florescent Freddie. [Frenchlick, Indiana, 1965.]
- Batsquatch. [Mt.St Helens, 1994.]
- "Flannel-Men." [Various.]
- *Agropelter. [Fearsome Critters, 1910.]
- *Whirling Wimpus. [Fearsome Critters, 1910.]
- *The HideBehind. [Fearsome critters 1910.]
- *Toteroad Shagamaw [Fearsome critters, 1910.]
- *The HumpDumple. [Yarns of the big woods, 1925.]
[*interestingly, There are many 'Fearsome Critters' Creatures that stem from lumberjack folklore & American tall tales, many of which actually pre-date both the hype & modern popularization of the terms "Bigfoot"  and "Sasquatch"  yet, they have similar appearances, are ape-like creatures or generally behave somewhat similarly to 'BigFoot.']
…There are a vast number of other Individual cases of "hairy humanoids" out there that this list could go on, and I'm sure one could easily fill several books with the number of unique bigfoot 'encounters' & 'research' found across North America and articles in old newspapers past alone.
...Alas, I just haven't the time to illustrate every single case!!!
Sticker Art by @samkalensky, part of my cryptozoology series of stickers! - if you enjoyed this article please consider supporting my works on patreon!